FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Where to find thatching the cheapest?
Where to find thatching the cheapest?
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 5:11 pm   Permalink

I've been searching the internet for the cheapest thatching but thought I should ask the experts here... I'm looking for a 1' x 5' piece to cover a section of a hut lamp that I'm building. Any info is appreciated!!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 8:26 pm   Permalink

In the duck blind section of a large hunting supply place. I saw bundles of "natural duck blind" for around 45 bucks (so many puns to ignore). I'm not sure how many pieces were in the bundle, but it was the standard sheets of woven thatch.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 3:13 pm   Permalink

Hmmmm. Seems like every place I try (Benson's, OA) requires a $100 purchase to make the shipping reasonable...

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 8:41 pm   Permalink

Some craft stores sell a raffia table skirt. Not exactly thatch but a palm material just the same. They may also carry bundles of dyed or natural raffia (not in the skirt) for much cheaper.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 8:54 pm   Permalink

If you're looking for thatching like the stuff in the picture below, let me know...

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 9:01 pm   Permalink

I'm talking about the woven palm thatch that's hung over the top of bars. You used lauhala matting. Sweet bar by the way.

Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I'm talking about the woven palm thatch that's hung over the top of bars

The places down here (SoCal) would be Benson's or Oceanic Arts.....You should take a weekend trip and do the L.A. / O.C. Tiki Bar crawl (kill 2 birds with one stone)!

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 2:44 pm   Permalink

the stuff you are looking for is called raincape thatch

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation