FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Sew Tiki!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Sew Tiki!
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 3:29 pm   Permalink

I recently bought a new sewing machine that does embroidery. Here are some photos from its first use:

the first color

further along

almost done

the finished design

My second stitch-out -- both of these will be made into throw pillows.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 3:58 pm   Permalink

Cool stuff CC. If I had one of those, my handkerchiefs, washcloths, dish towels, hats, boxers and my newborn son's burpcloths would have tikis plastered all over them!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-13 4:07 pm   Permalink

Looks great! Are those your own designs?

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-07-13 4:25 pm   Permalink

hey.. your monkey needs a fez!

you are darned crafty. is that one of those fancy machines that use digital patterns?

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 4:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 15:58, Sam Gambino wrote:
If I had one of those, my handkerchiefs, washcloths, dish towels, hats, boxers and my newborn son's burpcloths would have tikis plastered all over them!

thanks!

So far I've been doing some T-shirts and throw pillows and I'm getting ready to do some towels. Hopefully soon I will have things for sale....

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 4:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 16:07, UtopianDreem wrote:
Looks great! Are those your own designs?

Those came from embroideryonline.com. There are TONS of designs available for download.

I bought software with my machine that will allow me to scan and digitize artwork, and create designs of my own, but I haven't had much time to play with it yet.

cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 4:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 16:25, dogbytes wrote:
hey.. your monkey needs a fez!

Is that one of those fancy machines that use digital patterns?

Yes, it's a Bernina artista 185. How about this for a fez?
http://www.emblibrary.com/Emblibrary/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Emblibrary&category%5Fname=Free+and+Accepted+Masons&product%5Fid=J1278

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 5:14 pm   Permalink

So, forgive my ignorance, but is that thing totally automated? What do you have to do, punch buttons and change the thread? I can sew a button on by hand, that's about it.

Very nice!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 17:14, Kono wrote:
So, forgive my ignorance, but is that thing totally automated?

Here's how it works:
1. Load design into machine via memory card or PC connection.
2. Place fabric and stabilizer (backing) in hoop and attach hoop to machine.
3. Thread with first color and start -- machine stops and cuts thread when that color is finished.
4. Clip any hanging threads, change color and restart machine. Repeat until all colors have been stitched.

The two designs I posted here each took over an hour to stitch. The design with the monkey has 15 different colors and over 12,000 stitches! What have I gotten myself into?

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 6:59 pm   Permalink

That first one would look great on a car seat cover.

An hour labor's nothing for getting such cool looking results! Let us know when you're stuff's on ebay...

You could take digital pics of mugs and tikis and use PSP to soften the image and get rid of the background and then import that into your software. The possibilities are endless!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 7:40 pm   Permalink

That is nice stuff. I'm sure you could work out an arrangement with some of the artists here. Hint hint.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-13 7:49 pm   Permalink

Very cool,
I wonder how much did you pay for this cool toy?

Tahitiki

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 8:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 18:59, Kono wrote:
You could take digital pics of mugs and tikis and use PSP to soften the image and get rid of the background and then import that into your software.

It's not as simple as it sounds. I downloaded the Tiki Central logo and ran it through my digitizing software, and it told me I would need *63* colors of thread!

Digitizing line art and solid colors is pretty easy, but it gets really complex when any shading is involved. I'm not saying it can't be done; I have great admiration for the people who do this for a living.

cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 8:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 19:49, Tahitiki wrote:
I wonder how much did you pay for this cool toy?

Plenty! (and that's all I'm saying)

Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 10:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 16:25, dogbytes wrote:
hey.. your monkey needs a fez! elicia

No doubt! He looks almost nekkid! But I love the designs you have doen so far, and I think we need to start finding things for you to embroider so you can start making some of your money back.

www.tiki-asylum.4t.com

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-13 22:37 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation