[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki strange, weird toy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
strange, weird toy
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 4:43 pm   Permalink

Do you ever remember toys you had when you were really small?

I grew up in the late sixties, and had a set of plastic space aliens...one in particular I rememeber: He was purple and had an elephant's trunk instead of a nose, and he was wearing a space suit and bubble helmet...

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Anyone know if it was from a TV show?

And, one more trivial question: There was a sci-fi series that ran in the 70's, about some people trapped in a giant spaceship that had "habitats"..each room or section was wierder then the next, and the show seemed to be about these people's exploration of this endlessley huge space ship...trying to find a way out....

I have discussed this with several people, and no one seems to know....I bet there is a TC person who can solve this puzzle for me!

[ This Message was edited by: martiki on 2004-07-20 10:55 ]

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 4:51 pm   Permalink

That sounds like the science fiction movie "Cube" but the inhabitants were kind of abducted into an alien or government experiment and maze.

Good luck with your search! Someone is bound to know.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 5:22 pm   Permalink

Hey Mick,

Do you think you might have owned one or more of these?:
http://members.cox.net/colorformsouterspacemen/

The Colorforms "Outer Space Men" were bendable plastic figures that came with removable helmets, wings, and weapons. Although the one with a tentacle nose never came with a helmet - that's why I'm not sure these are correct.

These are some of the most highly collectible toys out there, and the holy-grail for us garage-salers. I once found the tiny "Alpha 7" martian figure, with no helmet or weapon, and with broken wires in his arms and legs, yet still managed to sell him on E-bay for near a hundred dollars.

There are even people making replacement parts for these rare figures:
http://home.interhop.net/grwalker/cgi-bin/cfamain.htm

What do ya think? Do they look familiar?

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-07-15 17:23 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 6:10 pm   Permalink

Speaking of favorite lost toys from childhood...

This was my favorite toy in the world - The Red Raven "Movie Records".
http://www.shellac.org/wams/wraven1.html

A set of these records and the mirrored carousel which sets on top were given to me by my grandmother in the 1960s. I forgot the name of the manufacturer long ago and it took me years to discover them again on E-bay and the internet. I'm saving up to buy a set again.

When you placed the mirror device on the record, the tiny pictures seemed to animate right before your eyes in time with the music. A little red raven would always appear somewhere in the animation. I would play these for hours and hours.

What other favorite toys do TC members remember from childhood?

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-07-15 18:11 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 8:00 pm   Permalink

I loved the optical toys, like Viewmaster. I still collect the reels whenever the opportunity comes along.

I would also like to find one of them Fisher Price Movie Viewers. You know the ones right? You'd put a big yellow cartridge in 'em?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 8:34 pm   Permalink

Okay, as far as I know, I was delusional, because noone remembers this cartoon; "Dodo the Kid from Outerspace."

Can anyone back me up here?

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 8:34 pm   Permalink

Okay, as far as I know, I was delusional, because noone remembers this cartoon; "Dodo the Kid from Outerspace."

Can anyone back me up here?

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-07-15 8:42 pm   Permalink

Tiki Mick, you're outta the fuc*#^ band dude... This thread is lame!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 10:29 pm   Permalink

Raffertiki,

I personally don't remember "Dodo, The Kid From Outerspace", but here's a website devoted to him:
http://www.toontracker.com/dodo/dodo.htm

Personally, I remember "Tom Terrific"

Sabu

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 08:06 am   Permalink

Mick, I remember that series, I thought I was the only person who did! I remember watching with my father & he denies ever knowing what it was, let alone seeing it!

I seem to remember that there were 2 boys or very young men & a girl, that there was some kind of (three lensed?) device watching them, and they were seeking the control room? I remember that each week they'd escape the habitat they were in, solving some problem or riddle, or just escaping some danger, only to find themselves in another dangerous situation in the next habitat and you'd have to wait 'til the next show to find out what happened.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 08:34 am   Permalink

My Favorite '60s SciFi toy was the Major Matt Mason toy set. I Had Matt, Sgt. Storm, & Callisto:

I dreamed of being able to own the Space Crawler & the Space Station.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 11:13 am   Permalink

Oh man, I remember having all these toys, with the exception of that animation record thing.

Sabu, Slacks, and Freddie, thanks for postin the pics, I took a pleasant little trip to kidsville. I played with all those dolls, er I mean action figures, for hours.

Dr. Freddie- That squeezie ray gun the alien fella had in the Matt Mason toy set was too cool. His transparent green butt head was a nice touch too.
As I recall the helmets never stayed on.

Not as cool as the sci-fi toys but fun nonetheless, Who remembers:

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-15 20:00, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Fisher Price Movie Viewers. You know the ones right? You'd put a big yellow cartridge in 'em?

I just dug mine outta storage! I only had the one cart that came with it, but it was strange because it had the wrong label on the cart. Mickey and the Giant, instead of Mickey meets the Ghosts, or something like that.

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-16 11:44 pm   Permalink

I always loveD the Micronauts toys from the 70's. I even have a very lame, 5-year-old website devoted to them...full of broken links, "under construction" messages and overcompressed jpegs. Don't laugh too hard!

[ This Message was edited by: Biotron2000 on 2004-07-16 23:48 ]

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-07-16 11:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-15 16:43, tiki mick wrote:

And, one more trivial question: There was a sci-fi series that ran in the 70's, about some people trapped in a giant spaceship that had "habitats"..each room or section was wierder then the next, and the show seemed to be about these people's exploration of this endlessley huge space ship...trying to find a way out....

this is answered by my husband: who had all but one of the toys that Sabu posted

The TV series was (I suspect) "The Starlost", created by Harlan Ellison (who disowned it and made them use the pseudonym "Cordwainer Bird" for his credit, as I recall), produced by Douglas Trumball and starring Keir Dullea. Produced in Canada on a shoestring budget and lasted only one season, fall '73 to spring '74. It was a clever idea but very quickly fell victim to repetitivenes even in the short time it was on the air.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation