[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Jury Summons
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Jury Summons
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 12:13 pm   Permalink

I am furious. I have been summoned for jury duty, my employer wont pay for this, which is bad enough. The court does not care any more regarding this. On top of that they are sending me 16 miles away to Beverly Hills. For those of you who dont live in LA, this means 45 minuted to an hour on a good day on the freeway, each way. I told them my car is broken, they told me to take the bus. Ayyyyy, I am thinking of different ways to commit suicide, just to make a point. Any suggestions how to kill myself. Needs to be painless....Ayyy

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 12:36 pm   Permalink

Can't you get out of it? Don't they have to screen you first? A few lines like 'fry him!' or 'I don't know, I just think he's guilty, I can tell by looking at him' or 'I'm a stalker' should work.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 12:40 pm   Permalink

I dont know, I guess I could. You know what gets me is the fact that people in BH dont have to go, maybe they have a lot of money and they get out of it. And I have to go instead of them. By the way the courthouse in this area is 10 min away if not less.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-18 12:45 pm   Permalink

You could just throw the summons away and not show up or call. Since they just send it by regular mail they have no proof that you received it. They would have to send the letter by Return Receipt or Registered Mail to have proof of delivery. A close friend of mine received this information from a cop he knew.

It sounds like you're stuck now because you spoke to the court already.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 12:50 pm   Permalink

The simplest way to get off jury duty is just to be honest during voir dire (when the lawyers question the jurors about various things).

Just be honest. For example, during my last jury duty, a lawyer asked all of us: "any one have a problem with a chiropractor giving expert medical testimony?

I raised my hand. Lawyer huffily demanded to know why I didn't think a chiro. was a medical expert. "Because he didn't go to medical school," I said.

Needless to say, I wasn't called.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 12:52 pm   Permalink

Ayyy dont tell me there was a way and I did not know it. I am afraid of deportation.

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 1:00 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 1:09 pm   Permalink

I am not paying a frickin small due, it is costing me 100's a day. and hours of anguish on the frickin fwy. Is this not soppose to be a positive experience?

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 1:18 pm   Permalink

OK I am trying to calm down, you are right this is my duty and I will do it and hope for the best.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 1:23 pm   Permalink

and furthermore maybe this is not a good day to die.(Little big man).

mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-19 06:42 am   Permalink

Just tell them.."they're all guilty of something, they wouldn't be here otherwise"...works every time!!!

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-19 07:17 am   Permalink

Hiltiki-be grateful you live in a society that gives us our judicial system.When I lived in SoCal,I had jury duty,and had to take the bus to Compton from Manhattan Beach six days straight.Remember,this too,shall pass.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-19 08:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-19 07:17, docwoods wrote:
Hiltiki-be grateful you live in a society that gives us our judicial system.When I lived in SoCal,I had jury duty,and had to take the bus to Compton from Manhattan Beach six days straight.Remember,this too,shall pass.

I served jury duty back before the "one day, one trial" thing went into effect and had to spend EVERY DAY of my winter break, including BOTH Christmas Eve AND New Years Eve, waiting to get on a trial. I never did, simply because I was unable to stay for the duration of any trial they 'paneled' me for. However, speaking from experience, the Compton courthouse is by far the best courthouse in the South Bay! The neighborhood surrounding it is absolutely fine, the "waiting" rooms are large and clean, with plush, comfortable couches and many T.V.s and shelves of reading material to help bide your time. But best of all, the have a gourmet cafeteria with excellent food and great views of the city (I actually had poached salmon when I was there!) To contrast, the courthouse in Torrance sucks! Their waiting room is simply a bunch of metal folding chairs and flickering flourescent lights - and that's about it! If I ever get summoned again (now that my school disctrict has opted to pay us for jury service), I'd try to get back into the Compton courthouse in a flash!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-19 08:51 am   Permalink

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-19 10:29 am   Permalink

You do know that you can ask to be excused if your employer doesn't pay you for Jury Duty? You have to ask HR for a note stating that they don't pay for jury duty, you fill out the Financial Hardship portion of why you should be excused on the back of your summons & mail it to the court.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation