FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Jury Summons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Jury Summons
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-19 7:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-19 08:51, Johnny Dollar wrote:

?????????????

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-20 1:40 pm   Permalink

When is the date of summons? The earlier you send in a letter requesting a postponement the better - you can raise several hardship issues regarding the commute (say you don't have a car); the employment problems (say you could be fired; no chance to be away), etc.

I got out of several jury duty summons during law school, when I really couldn't spare the time. The trick is to send in your letter as early as possible; they release people but if you wait too long they have no wiggle room to release anybody more and say "so sorry - show up."

then, there is a good possibility the trial will be postponed or settled the day before; but you won't know until then.

last, depending on whether its a criminal trial or civil, the line "I've dated a cop/Im an attorney/I've dated an attorney/I've worked for an attorney/My friends are attornies/I hate cops/I hate attorneys/I hate the judicial system because I was falsely accused the drugs were not mine man" etc etc. will enable you to be booted off during voir dire - you'll be free by lunchtime.
All of the above disqualifiers apply to me except for one.

Hope this helps!

JH, Esq.
Barbarian at Law

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 5:34 pm   Permalink

From what I understand financial hardship is no longer considered for grounds of dismissal. Or, at the very least, it is very difficult to get. You have to have like 15 dependants, make a buck fifty an hour, beg for food on a daily basis, etc. etc. Good luck with it. I hope you manage on getting out of it somehow.

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 8:03 pm   Permalink

What bothers me a little is that the phrase, "Too stupid to get out of jury duty" is becoming rather common and I'm in the same boat (Not becomming rather common, but not being able to avoid jury duty. I used to get out because I'm a teacher or by saying I'm a student when I took a class or two. I postponed my last one because I couldn't get out of it (they've changed the rules) and then like a dope forgot to call in on the last or second to last day so it didn't count. They gave me a new date and I've postponed that till November. If I blow it this time I think I have to go to jail or something. I guess I'm even stupider than the other folks.

I suppose it's better to have rational more or less well adjusted people on a jurty rather than the hard-core unemployable, but it still stinks if your employer doesn't pay for it. Then, like me you have to schedule it during a vacation...which means it's no longer a vacation...and as mentioned above, you're trapped at home having to call each night to find out your fate. It bites ass.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-20 9:01 pm   Permalink

I just got through serving a one day jury duty in Long Beach - the waiting room sucked, but there was a beautiful big balcony overlooking downtown long beach and the harbor (even the Queen Mary!). I'm all about balconies.

I was told by a friend (who actually went through this process) that after throwing away summons for years, he was assigned a court date to show up and give reasons as to why he NEVER RESPONDED to the summons. Basically, the judge said he had to pay a fine, or serve jury service the following week. He served jury.
That got me thinking, because I've been tossing these things in the trash for years, then making excuses to postpone it. I just went, brought a book, waited around all day, never got interviewed and I was released at the end of the day. And if I do ever get interviewed again for a trial - make up some cocameme excuse so you can go home.

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-07-20 21:03 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 9:14 pm   Permalink

the way I've gotten out of jury doody is this:

Say it's against my religous beliefs (it's not)

I believe in the death penalty (i'm indifferent on the subject)

I'm racist (i'm not)

or wink at the lawyer...alot

Then I have the rest of the day to tiki hunt.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 9:23 pm   Permalink

JURY SUMMONS PART II. THE SAGA CONTINUES...................... Well I did go early in the morning.I made sure I wore my tiki neckless, and my cute Hawaiian dress. Afterall there was a dress code. It took me exactly one hour and twenty two minutes. It was 16 miles away. No there are no excuses, at least not in LA. Unless you are retarded, cant speak English, or you are rich, you are not getting out. After, 6 hours, I was jurer # 13. However, I told the judge and the lawers exactly how I feel, which they called agressive behavior, they told me to leave.YEAHHHHHHH. You know what the best part was. I got to go to The Galley, on Main Street in Santa Monica. Nice and dark and tropical. After two bad mai tai life was wonderful again. And to think I was going to commit suecide. Maybe next time.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 10:22 pm   Permalink

I've been summoned 3 times in 8 years.
First time I was just starting back in college after 9 years off and wouldn't you know I get selected. The trial turns out to be for a double homicide. I was really nervous but I got through it and it was a real eye opener for me to experience the real thing. It is nothing like you see on tv.
Second time I get selected AGAIN. This time it's a 9 day ordeal with 2 business partners suing each other after a company break up.
Third time I finally got lucky and wasn't even put on a panel. Got to leave about 2pm and fortunately my company pays us whenever we can prove we were really serving on jury duty. I would sum it up by saying it was not fun but I think is something we all should be willing to do occasionally as a citizen.
If I was ever on trial trying to prove I wasn't guilty of a charge, I would want a capable bunch of folks in that jury box to hear the facts.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 11:26 pm   Permalink

I might have complined to you all, but I called and I went. Lets not forget that.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 12:22 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:07 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 04:47 am   Permalink

i have heard of the financial hardship thing too... i think you should have no problem getting out of it from that angle.

and unless they took your name and # down when you called them about getting out of - just go ahead and forget about it - like the jab said, they don't send it registered mail. they absolutely can't prove you ever got the notice. i know numerous people who have excaped jury duty this way with no ramifications.

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 08:11 am   Permalink

Your employer has to pay you for jury duty up to 5 days. My wife just went through this situation. The clerck of courts explained the law and my wife's employers were forced to pay her for the days she was in jury duty.

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-07-21 09:12 am   Permalink

When I was a kid (age <= 17) I always loved it when I could slip the word "dooty" into a sentence.

(you know, I think I still do-do)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 09:41 am   Permalink

You should meet Mr. Doodie...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mrdoodiehallofame/
although, I'm partial to Dookie myself...

[ This Message was edited by: sweetpea on 2004-07-21 09:42 ]

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 10:11 am   Permalink

And how many remember Mr. Doody from the Doody Home Centers?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation