FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki concert fools
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
concert fools
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-20 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 10:17, Geeky Tiki wrote:
I went to two dead shows in my life.

I only went to the second one to make sure the first one was as bad as I thought.

I once saw Dylan and the Dead together. It was without a doubt the worst show I ever saw.

Speaking of yelling out songs, I recently heard a recording of Ray Charles' response to someone in the audience yelling out a song request. I can't quote it verbatim, but he basically said don't yell songs out at me, I don't take orders from anyone!

The loud talkers really bug me too. Especially when they stand real close to the stage. Go to the back if you want to talk!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 12:13 pm   Permalink

Man, it's so nice to bash the hippies!!!!!!!!

I am glad I am not the only one who can't stand those self-satisfied little snots!!!!!

I am glad that more then a few people find them to be irritating, annoying and just plain stupid...

I really liked the comment about hippies having no rythem in thier dumb little drum circles!!!! it's so true!!!

In Berkeley, they have a drum circle that plays near the bartstation also near the college....the most god-awful noise I have ever heard!!!

These people don't take the time to study and appreciate anything at all....they just buy a 400 dollar djembe and now think they are really cool....they have this fake look of "spritual bliss" on thier faces, as they pound away...mindlessly, endlessly!!!!

They don't understand what Zakir Hussein, or any of the other great percussionists are really about: Learning, listening, practicing, studying and having RESPECT for ethnic music and the people who invented modern percussion like Tito Puente and others.....it's more then just buying a 400 dollar djembe, and "getting into the groove"

And to answer Mr McDougal...dude, we bash hippies around here because hippies stand opposite to most of the values we tiki people hold dear...it's 180 degrees the other way from what people like me enjoy....that's what McDougal can't seem to figure out!!!! He thinks there is a tie- in between tiki and hippy because both respect mysticism and the enviromment, and the laid back attitude....

Mc Dougal, at one time there may have been a few slight similarities, but the hippies of today are not your parent's hippies!

And before you get your birkenstocks in a knit, I was raised a hippie, by hippie parents....I know what I am talking about!!!!!

Hippies, for the most part, are fake, fake fake!!! They are like Eminem..the otherman ripping off the brotherman!!!! Poseurs and spoiled rich kids!!!

Just because some WASP offspring listens to hip hop, or wears baggy clothing, it does not make him really "ghetto" at all...he's copying..and so are you hippies!!! How many of you have actually read the beat poets, or people like Camus who came before??

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-07-20 12:36 pm   Permalink

Mick, Mick, Mick,

Lighten up my brotha!

First of all, there are no more hippies (or punks), only those that play dress up as them.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 1:16 pm   Permalink

Wow, that was a lot of apostrophes..

I would like to add-in the category of oblivious dancers.. be that jivers or "mosher" types depending on the show..
I like dancing as much as the next girl, but when khaki sporting, sneaker wearing usually SOBER yuppies come to rockabilly shows and start doing ARIEL MANOUVERS in a bar that has a full dance floor and is only 15 square feet.. I am not amused. People do not like getting kicked in the head by little @(*#^#'s who don't even have the decency to apologise afterwards. These same people often show a blatant inability to acknowledge their peripheral vision, and often throw their partners into other couples that are dancing..

The "mosher" types also like throwing their stinky, sweaty bodies into the surrounding crowd who gathers by the stage to watch the band, I've even had people stop and spit on me. He was so 'punk' it bleewwwww my mind. I have since given up standing on the dance floor for these shows, I'll squint by the bar thanks.

beatgirlart.com

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 2:42 pm   Permalink

I hate the chair dancers. The people who stand in front of you in the front row balcony seats and have to dance through every song - slow, fast whatever. They don't notice that no one else is dancing in the balcony. They don't care. And, worst of all, they dance badly. They almost look like they dont want to be dancing but are sopmehow unable to stop themselves.

People, if you want to dance, get floor tickets, get in an aisle, or sit the hell down!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 4:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 12:13, tiki mick wrote:
And before you get your birkenstocks in a knit...

Is there no end to this irrational prejudice against the world's most comfortable shoe?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 10:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 12:13, tiki mick wrote:
Man, it's so nice to bash the hippies!!!!!!!!

I am glad I am not the only one who can't stand those self-satisfied little snots!!!!!

I am glad that more then a few people find them to be irritating, annoying and just plain stupid...

I really liked the comment about hippies having no rythem in thier dumb little drum circles!!!! it's so true!!!

In Berkeley, they have a drum circle that plays near the bartstation also near the college....the most god-awful noise I have ever heard!!!

These people don't take the time to study and appreciate anything at all....they just buy a 400 dollar djembe and now think they are really cool....they have this fake look of "spritual bliss" on thier faces, as they pound away...mindlessly, endlessly!!!!

They don't understand what Zakir Hussein, or any of the other great percussionists are really about: Learning, listening, practicing, studying and having RESPECT for ethnic music and the people who invented modern percussion like Tito Puente and others.....it's more then just buying a 400 dollar djembe, and "getting into the groove"

And to answer Mr McDougal...dude, we bash hippies around here because hippies stand opposite to most of the values we tiki people hold dear...it's 180 degrees the other way from what people like me enjoy....that's what McDougal can't seem to figure out!!!! He thinks there is a tie- in between tiki and hippy because both respect mysticism and the enviromment, and the laid back attitude....

Mc Dougal, at one time there may have been a few slight similarities, but the hippies of today are not your parent's hippies!

And before you get your birkenstocks in a knit, I was raised a hippie, by hippie parents....I know what I am talking about!!!!!

Hippies, for the most part, are fake, fake fake!!! They are like Eminem..the otherman ripping off the brotherman!!!! Poseurs and spoiled rich kids!!!

Just because some WASP offspring listens to hip hop, or wears baggy clothing, it does not make him really "ghetto" at all...he's copying..and so are you hippies!!! How many of you have actually read the beat poets, or people like Camus who came before??

I find myself felling pretty intelligent (I don't know all the awnsers but I'm always learning). I don't feel "self-satisfied". I would never spend "$400" on something I can make and feel something of self-accomplishment on my ability to create something. Again why would I spend $xxx on birkenstocks when I can get a knock off brand. I'm not spoiled nor rich. I never asked for anything that was trendy (unlike my sister), I wear "baggy" jeans, not because I'm "ghetto" (personally can't stand that look) , because I feel confortable in them. I wear bowling shirts and tie-die. I wear patchwork pants and jackets. I also collect items from the 1940s - 1970's. I respect other peoples views, and other cultures beliefs, but I also respect our planet. I'm a reader of many things, I'll be honest though I don't read alot of poetry. But what I do read I do enjoy, beat and non-beat. I love to listen to jam-bands, psychedelic, blues, surf, rock, classical, swing, big band, etc.
Ienjoy the tallents of Duke Ellington, Dick Dale, Grateful Dead, 13th Floor elevators, Lightning Hopkins, Choplin, etc.

I dont think I'm a hippy of yesterday, but I try my best to live each day hoping that what I do is peaceful. I enjoy pretty much most of what you "dissed" above. I feel I have contributed alot to TC, and I enjoy every minute of it. I don't care for stereotypes, because most of them have a negative tone to them. But by liking what I like, what type of person do you think that makes me? I can tell you. Me.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 10:34 pm   Permalink

You know how people used to all hold up their lighters and sort of move their arms to the music? Well back in the early 80's, Mrs. 8FT was still single and went to a concert once where she saw a girls hair catch on fire by one of these lighter wavers. They figured out that she had sprayed on way too much hair spray. A bunch of girls with her had to beat her over the head until the flames went out.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 11:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 10:54, martiki wrote:
What happens to me, without fail, is that I get to a show early as hell, sit on a sidewalk for hours (which is no fun in front of the Warfield in SF I assure you), rush in to get the perfect place to watch the show on the floor...and then it turns to shit. Someone who got there 5 minutes before the headliner always pushes in front of you. And that person is always pablusized. (that's a new word meaning "big guy"). So you watch a head for two hours. I mean, I am six feet tall, but there's always some 6'5" guy who shows up at every band I like. Grrr..

As an aside, JT: the most recent show this happened at (last week) was Neil and Tim Finn. I was tempted to yell out "What does the name Split Enz really mean?!" but I showed good concert manners and refrained.

Oh My God! I wonder if it's the same tall guy follows them (or Neil at least) around the country on every tour. He's done this to me twice. It's usually toward the end of the show though. He got me last Wednesday at the Finn Brothers show in Hollywood. I was in the second row, and he shoves in front of me saying "You've been up here long enough." I'm thinking "Bloody Hell. This is the same guy who did this to me five years ago at The Roxy." It was pretty amusing to see the shock and dismay on the face of the crowd of accountants who seem to also frequent the Finn shows.

I didn't see him the following night, but he showed up at The Grove in Anaheim on Friday. Luckily, there were some very burly, yet friendly, accountants there. He didn't come near me, but if he had I would not have given up the death-grip I had on the stage.

By the way, it was originally Split Ends, but they changed it to Enz in 1974 to emphasise their New Zealand identity.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 10:04 am   Permalink

Lol, I knew I could get another rant out of you Mick, you funny!

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 10:17, Geeky Tiki wrote:
Do all the crowds at jam band shows dance to a random beat that has nothing to do with the music?

Yes.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 10:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 10:54, martiki wrote:
As an aside, JT: the most recent show this happened at (last week) was Neil and Tim Finn. I was tempted to yell out "What does the name Split Enz really mean?!" but I showed good concert manners and refrained.

LOL.
How was the show otherwise?
I've bee on the fence about going to the one here in a few weeks.

Any Enz tunes?

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 10:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 12:06, naugatiki wrote:
I mean what would Star Wars be without the 2 hour line?

It would be 2 hours of shit, instead of 2 hours of shit after a 2 hour wait.

...and this is coming from a guy who wrote, glowingly, about the original SW trilogy for a SF mag for 8 years.

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-07-21 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 13:16, Velvet Ruby wrote:
but when khaki sporting, sneaker wearing usually SOBER yuppies come to rockabilly

If the meaning of the 'yuppie' acronym is 'young, urban, professional', is it safe to assume you're the antithesis of one, and hence an old, rural, union-laborer?

(hey, a new acronym - orulie!)

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-07-21 11:02 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 11:08 am   Permalink

Unkle John, with all due respect: by your self-definition, you are not really a hippie......and I mean that as a compliment! That goes for Mc Dougal too.....if either of you guys like Tiki, hopefully, it cancels out your hippiness!!!

After all, if this was 1968..your parents would be the ones drinking mai-tais in thier backyard parties with the chinese laterns and the martin denny music on the hi-fi....

You, the hippy, would be in your room trying to tune out the whole parent's scene by listening to rock music!!

I doubt the two scenes mix well at all........

and even if they do, you are more then likely an exception to my stereotype....

However, I stand by what I say about the other 98% of hippies out there....they are a stereotype because they LIVE according to a hippy code, a hippy dress code, that is. With little or no deviation....

I have lived in Berkeley before...few hippies like punk...few hippies would eat at sizzler, or go to a football game!!!

They would however, live in a co-opt called "lothlorien" and be into Wicca, tofu berry shakes and Bob Dylan....

They define themselves, just as much as we tiki people do, with our aloha shirts and funny hats!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation