[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki concert fools
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
concert fools
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 1:33 pm   Permalink

I went to a few Dead Can Dance shows several years ago and discovered a new genre of fans I had never encountered before: Hippie Goths. Yep, they were wearing Birkenstocks, long hippie-like skirts and unkempt hair, but they also were wearing black and were pale with black eyeliner on. I was with my friend who wears a real corset and full Victorian regalia to these shows (reducing her waist by up to 6 inches...she does a hell of a Vampira impression) and needless to say the presence of such unkemptness at what she saw as a strictly Goth show was quite a shock to her.

Personally, I kinda miss the days when EVERYONE stood up (even if there were seats) and danced at shows with danceable music. That way you weren't really blocking anyone if you wanted to dance. (Although I always tried to get an aisle seat when I could.)

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 1:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-21 11:01, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-07-20 13:16, Velvet Ruby wrote:
but when khaki sporting, sneaker wearing usually SOBER yuppies come to rockabilly

If the meaning of the 'yuppie' acronym is 'young, urban, professional', is it safe to assume you're the antithesis of one, and hence an old, rural, union-laborer?

(hey, a new acronym - orulie!)

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-07-21 11:02 ]

HOLY CR*P!
People can bash hippies here but yuppies are off limits! What's the world coming to! hahaha!

But seriously folks, While I am young, I did grow up rural, I am about to be rural again, and I am certainly not a 'professional'.. very unprofessional I am.. ha ha
Whatever the 'group label' of these people, my point was they're inconsiderate. The fact that they're usually yuppies is just an amusing coincidence.

[ This Message was edited by: Velvet Ruby on 2004-07-21 13:46 ]

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-07-21 4:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-21 13:44, Velvet Ruby wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-07-21 11:01, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-07-20 13:16, Velvet Ruby wrote:
but when khaki sporting, sneaker wearing usually SOBER yuppies come to rockabilly

If the meaning of the 'yuppie' acronym is 'young, urban, professional', is it safe to assume you're the antithesis of one, and hence an old, rural, union-laborer?

(hey, a new acronym - orulie!)

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-07-21 11:02 ]

HOLY CR*P!
People can bash hippies here but yuppies are off limits! What's the world coming to! hahaha!

But seriously folks, While I am young, I did grow up rural, I am about to be rural again, and I am certainly not a 'professional'.. very unprofessional I am.. ha ha
Whatever the 'group label' of these people, my point was they're inconsiderate. The fact that they're usually yuppies is just an amusing coincidence.

Just asking a question ma'am. But down here in the So Cal, where trends start and migrate in all directions, we haven't used the term 'yuppie' since the late '80's.

Hey! Be a trend setter in your province and stop now, way ahead of the trend curve!

And by the way, we now use a term called "whizzeldoink" to refer to people we used to call "yuppies"; give it a try at your next concert outing.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 6:00 pm   Permalink

waddayamean?
The 80s are SO in right now..
I'm way ahead of you

beatgirlart.com

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 6:23 pm   Permalink

You ARE funny Bong, don't let 'em stop you from speaking your mind.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 6:34 pm   Permalink

The live music scene in Seattle is incredibly bizarre if you're underage, or at least it was when I was underage, I think it's improved somewhat. Seattle had this thing called the "Teen Dance Ordinance" that made it virtually impossible to see music live if you were under 21. A very small handful of clubs would occasionally jump all the hurdles to make a live show happen, but mostly you only got a chance to see live music in a park during the summer. Counterintuitively, the evening, club-based all-ages shows were actually okay (mostly kids were just tripping on acid), the daytime park shows were either fantastic or frightening. My worst experience at a park all-ages show: striking up a conversation with a 6-year-old girl, parents nowhere to be found, with a pet rabbit under one arm, drinking a beer. She was sharing her beer with her rabbit. Didn't exactly get in the way of enjoying the music, but it was pretty damned disturbing.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 6:44 pm   Permalink

Quote Humuhumu:

"...striking up a conversation with a 6-year-old girl, parents nowhere to be found, with a pet rabbit under one arm, drinking a beer."

I need more info, this may have been the celebrity sighting of a lifetime!

Light blue dress, blonde hair, white rabbit, beer container had a label that read "Drink Me"????

If not, it was probably just Courtney Love's daughter.

In case you meant by that sentence that your parents were nowhere to be found and it was you holding the rabbit and drinking the beer, then Nevermind.

[ This Message was edited by: Geeky Tiki on 2004-07-21 18:47 ]

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DaneTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 7:25 pm   Permalink

On dancing/moshing: Bob Black once referred to folx at punk & hardcore shows as looking as though they were engaged in some kind of forced labor when they danced. In my experience, that's what most people who dance at shows look like. It's simply a matter of being considerate. The assholes of the pit who insist on bumping or elbowing non-moshers are just doing it to be annoying. And don't tell me that they're simply drunk, either. I've been exceedingly drunk on many, many occasions at shows, and I've never elbowed anyone in the face. Accidentaly.

Maybe this is just a Minneapolis thing, but I guess I get most annoyed by people at standing-up, club-type shows who plant themselves (and usually a whole crew of their poser buddies) right in the middle of some important thoroughfare. I.e. two feet in front of the door to the bathroom, right in front of the entranceway to the bar, or in any other place where there's no way to get through from one part of the club to another. And you know that they know what they're doing, because they pointedly ignore you when you're trying to get past, staring at some imaginary spot 10 inches from their faces and refusing to step aside. GRRRR! That burns me up.

I'm going to see a punk show tonight at St. Paul's venerable Turf Club, which is usually ok, although it does have a lot of potential bottlenecks.

[ This Message was edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:07 ]

View Profile of DaneTiki Send a personal message to DaneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-07-21 7:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:
your average white suburban pseudo-hipster who hides their insecurities under a mask of haughtiness

Woops, that's me. Dang, I was hoping no one noticed.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 7:32 pm   Permalink

That is very disturbing Humuhumu. I don't know if I would blame it on the "Seattle music scene". Raising a child like that is horrible and is not limited to any segment of society(Not that I think this was your point). Happens in every city in the Country every day. I have seen simular at "hippy" concerts but know it is not the music or culture that is the problem it is something far more encompasing(sp), I've seen simular more than I would like to think of on the streets of South Florida, San Francisco, Hartford ect... There is a small ugly segment of society that exist in all areas of society and when thousands of people get together in one small spot a group of leaches will always follow creating problems, I would not blame this on any one group at all. I do know that the people I have met who love Tiki and the people I have met that are "hippy's" (or what might be called a hippy nowadays) are very cool people usually and the "ugly" element is always less when I am amongst these people. My point I guess is that when I meet someone who likes Tiki or who maybe considered a Hippy I am interested right away, it is a good start I think. I think maybe I am strange I love both modern hippy culture and Tiki and I realize it maybe my strangness that is the issue, Peace Mick.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-07-23 10:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-21 10:15, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-07-20 10:54, martiki wrote:
As an aside, JT: the most recent show this happened at (last week) was Neil and Tim Finn. I was tempted to yell out "What does the name Split Enz really mean?!" but I showed good concert manners and refrained.

LOL.
How was the show otherwise?
I've bee on the fence about going to the one here in a few weeks.

Any Enz tunes?

The show was great, JT. Good energy- Tim still jumps around like a lunatic, even though he looks like Jeff Bridges in Lebowski. Played about four Enz songs, I think- I got you, Six months in a leaky boat, and a few others (sorry- more of a finn bros./neil/crowded house fan and I don't know the Enz stuff real well)

You should go. They always have a great vibe - relaxed and casual on stage, but rock when they need to.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-21 18:34, Humuhumu wrote:
...a 6-year-old girl, parents nowhere to be found, with a pet rabbit under one arm, drinking a beer. She was sharing her beer with her rabbit...

Here's something disturbing - an artist friend of mine and his wife were sleeping in their motorhome in a parking lot on Hwy 19 in Florida near Perry. They were awakened by a knock on the door around 3 am. When he peeked out of the blinds to see who it could be, it was a boy no older than 7 with a revolver in his hand.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DaneTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 4:30 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:06 ]

View Profile of DaneTiki Send a personal message to DaneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation