FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events UPDATE - PolyPop in Seattle, WA from 6/14/05 - 6/16/05
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
UPDATE - PolyPop in Seattle, WA from 6/14/05 - 6/16/05
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 10:35 am   Permalink

Aloha Mucky Mucks! I'll be back in your great city for a short 3 day/2 night jaunt.

Anyone up for a Mai Tai???? Give me a shout!
My email is
polynesianpop@NOSPAMyahoo.com (remove the NOSPAM) or call my celfone at nine-four-nine, four-one-three, eighty-nine hundred. I will be working during the day but free after about 5pm. And like last time, I'll probably need some kind soul to come get me in downtown area.

Looking forward to seeing you all again - especially the toothless jamaican guy with the urine soaked dog!

Poly-Pop *

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop on 2005-05-24 08:38 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 11:15 am   Permalink

WHEN? When ? WHEN?
Pea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-07-20 1:05 pm   Permalink

hey there! count me in..
i live very close to downtown seattle, i'd love to get together for a drink or dinner..
i'll message you my info!

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 3:08 pm   Permalink

Ok -- I come in on Wednesday, July 28th at approximately 6pm. I am staying at the Coast Gateway Hotel, 18415 Pacific Highway South, Downtown Area.

Soooo..... I guess dinner at around 7:30-ish? I've been to Ohana before however, I've never been to any of the others (Islander, Luau, etc) so I'd like to see one of those if possible and try to squeeze in as much as possible while in town since I'll only have two nights.

Dogbytes, I got your PM -- thanks for sending your info. I'll be contacting you for sure!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 4:14 pm   Permalink

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Guess what morning I leave for Vegas,
hahahah, the 28th. Yup.
FRICKEN, dagnabit, gosh dern...
I'm gonna miss ya.
I come home on Saturday night just in time to go straight to the Tractor to see Deke Dickerson... fooey.
I'll be there in spirt though...
Pea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 4:48 pm   Permalink

PolyPop -- you're not staying downtown, you're way the hell out by the airport! It's not actually in Seattle, it's in a city called Seatac that's between Seattle and Tacoma. You'll be about 20-45 minutes away from downtown Seattle by car, depending on traffic. I forget what the flat rate is for a cab from the airport to downtown, I think it's $35, which is a great deal considering the distance. Try to get a hotel downtown, though!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-07-20 4:57 pm   Permalink

i made the airport motel adventure too... you're out in the sticks, PolyPop..

i'll come n get you if you cant change hotels...

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 5:29 pm   Permalink

haha, don't fergit, we are spoiled in Seattle, I think that if yer from the LA area, that is close to town.
I hear it's a 45 minute drive from anywhere in LA... heehee
Hope you have a super time here, and hope a bunch of the Seattle folks come out with ya!
Pea

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 9:43 pm   Permalink

I'm game for Thursday or Friday night, if you're here for Friday night. As long a it isn't in Seatac.

I suggest the Islander, more of an actual destination than the Lava Lounge, but both are within stumblin' distance of each other. If you want a good cocktail I suggest West 5 in West Seattle (not Tiki, just swell retro with a handful of Tiki drinks on the bar menu).

Notice how Sweetpea is always "outta town" whenever anything happens in the North West? Don't bad home perms usually grow out in a few weeks? Oh, uh...Ms 'Pea...Was that not supposed to be public knowledge?

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 10:12 pm   Permalink

Hey, I'm up for a Mai Tai with tikifolk! I recommend the Luau, then the Islander. (And this would be the case even if the former were not within a couple miles of my house and the latter a couple blocks from my office.)

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 11:36 pm   Permalink

BTW, in addition to the tiki-ish Seattle places, tikitourists might consider checking out the Crocodile Cafe while in town. The Croc has become something of a Seattle institution -- it is owned by the wife of REM guitarist Peter Buck -- and although it is not tiki, it features some swampy, grassy decor including some grass lamps to die for. If it's not possible to catch the true flavor during a show in the evening, you might drop by at lunch and stick your nose around the stage area and also the bar in back to check out the ramshackle loungie decor.

And if you're doing that, drop by Roq la Rue just a block or so down. This is the gallery that brought Shag to town and always has some great stuff (owned by Kirsten who was on the NW Tiki Crawl). And you might as well hit the Lava Lounge in the same trip, since it's just a few doors away.

If you like hanging with poor rock musicians and drinking cheap beer, the Cha Cha up on Capitol Hill is the place to go. It's not tiki either, but it does have a grass hut, cheesy polynesian pictures, and Mexican wrestler decor.

Here's a review of where to go to drink under a grass hut from one of our local weeklies.

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 11:57 pm   Permalink

Let me know when, what and where nad i'll try to make it. If anyone is interested we could have a barbecue in my backyard (I live in West Seattle.) I'm starting to tikify my house and I just got reinforcements of trader vic's rum and coconut snow.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 16:48, Humuhumu wrote:
PolyPop -- you're not staying downtown, you're way the hell out by the airport! It's not actually in Seattle, it's in a city called Seatac that's between Seattle and Tacoma. You'll be about 20-45 minutes away from downtown Seattle by car, depending on traffic.

20-45 minutes?! That's it???? BuwahhhaHa! Humu, you must have forgetten where I live in So Cal. That's nothing compared to what I drive to work everyday (or to our regular Hoity Toity TC happenings on a weekly basis)... In other words, a 20-45 minute drive isn't that big a deal for me.

For this trip unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick the hotel... since I'm travelling for business, my exec admin booked it for me (they're really starting to buckle down on budgets now).

Woofmutt, I'm actually flying out Friday afternoon... so, I'm guessing Thursday night is better for everyone? I'm not familiar with where everything is so maybe someone can post a pseudo itinerary like Islander for dinner then Luau for drinks??? Are they far apart? I'm also game for that bbq that Tiki-Riviera has offered... doesn't matter to me! I'm up for anything.

And damnit Pea -- you're leaving town again?!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 08:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 16:48, Humuhumu wrote:
PolyPop -- you're not staying downtown, you're way the hell out by the airport! It's not actually in Seattle, it's in a city called Seatac that's between Seattle and Tacoma. You'll be about 20-45 minutes away from downtown Seattle by car, depending on traffic. I forget what the flat rate is for a cab from the airport to downtown, I think it's $35, which is a great deal considering the distance. Try to get a hotel downtown, though!

Don't worry about the traffic, you're less than 20 minutes away from downtown by
Monorail!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 10:05 am   Permalink

Ah, the Seattle Monorail, also known to locals as the Train to Nowhere. The Monorail is fun, and is worth being pround of (it was a rather progressive thing when it was created for the 1962 World's Fair), but it only has two stops. Downtown, and the Seattle Center, which is a few blocks north of Downtown. Anyway, it's going to be closed during Pop's trip, they just had a fire and the evacuation was sort of a higgeldy-piggeldy, so they have it shut down until everyone forgets about it or they come up with a better procedure, whichever comes first.

Yes, Pop, you're right, I slipped into Seattle mode there. It's certainly not the end of the world that you're going to be in Seatac instead of Seattle, but it is a shame that you won't be able to experience Seattle as immersively, the area by the airport there is quite sucky. Those hotels by the airport aren't cheap either, because of the convenience, the admin would have been able to find something comparable in downtown. Oh well, next time! Hope you have fun, and I've got some haw flakes for you when I see you next!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation