FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki new SHAG - Conga Girls at Rest (ON SALE NOW)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
new SHAG - Conga Girls at Rest (ON SALE NOW)
Bamboo Bob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 3:10 pm   Permalink

http://www.shagmart.com/pages/prcong.html

While browsing around I saw SHAG is releasing a new serigraph entitled "Conga Girls at Rest". Has two Tikis in it. $185 on sale now. Thought some of you may be interested...

View Profile of Bamboo Bob Send a personal message to Bamboo Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 3:14 pm   Permalink

I've always liked that image because of the Tiki's. Mmmmmmmmm.

Update: One's on the way to my house now.
No more eBay for a while.

[ This Message was edited by: MachTiki on 2004-07-20 15:37 ]

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 3:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bamboo Bob,

If not for all the bills this year, I'd jump at the chance!

Mahalo!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SallyandJay
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 3:35 pm   Permalink

Sally and I had a discussion on this last night, in fact. The print is excellent and will be another sell out.
However, there is the matter of these other eight prints which sit unloved in tubes awaiting framing.

View Profile of SallyandJay Send a personal message to SallyandJay  Email SallyandJay     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiEAMES
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-20 4:36 pm   Permalink

regarding the other eight prints. Do you want to offer any for sale. Please let me know. Send me a personal message.

aloha

View Profile of tikiEAMES Send a personal message to tikiEAMES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 4:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 15:35, SallyandJay wrote:
Sally and I had a discussion on this last night, in fact. The print is excellent and will be another sell out.
However, there is the matter of these other eight prints which sit unloved in tubes awaiting framing.

I know how you feel. I've got three so far and have done them as they come, all the same way. I didn't want them to build up, since the framing alone can cost more than the print itself. It might make a good x-mas gift to eachother!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
net-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 4:48 pm   Permalink

I have taught myself how to frame prints with archival materials by books and other refernces. Its not hard and it save a lot of dough in the long run. I like this print too, but I think I will wait for something that is more tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: net-tiki on 2004-07-20 16:52 ]

View Profile of net-tiki Send a personal message to net-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 8:22 pm   Permalink

Tis true......often the framing can cost more than the print itself. I, mself, am rather picky about the frames. As such, I'm having a hard time finding the right frame for a Shag print I have. I've been to most large scale framing stores i.e. Michaels, Frames USA, Aaron Brothers, etc. and they pretty much have all the same stuff. I'm actually considering contracting someone like Bamboo Ben, or Crazy Al to custom make something for me if they're so inclined. I'm sure it'll be more expensive, but i see the frame is an extension of the art piece itself. Hence a cheesy frame will make the print look cheesy.

That is a pretty cool print, though. I think I'll hold off on something a bit more tiki as well. Other than the Big Mug that recently came out, the chosen Shag serigraphs seem to be less on the tiki/exotica side. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They simply just don't melt in with a tiki atmosphere.

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-20 20:23 ]

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 11:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-20 20:22, SON OF MOTHRA wrote:
Tis true......often the framing can cost more than the print itself. I, mself, am rather picky about the frames. As such, I'm having a hard time finding the right frame for a Shag print I have. I've been to most large scale framing stores i.e. Michaels, Frames USA, Aaron Brothers, etc. and they pretty much have all the same stuff. I'm actually considering contracting someone like Bamboo Ben, or Crazy Al to custom make something for me if they're so inclined. I'm sure it'll be more expensive, but i see the frame is an extension of the art piece itself. Hence a cheesy frame will make the print look cheesy.

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-20 20:23 ]

Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with "Frame Fettish." I've always wanted to have the Shag prints framed just right, but I've searched and searched and cannot find a phone number or address.

I had to get Conga Girls to go along with Woman on Tiki.

Thanks Bob. Shagmart usually sends an e-mail when a new print comes out, but I had no clue about this one.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-07-21 12:30 am   Permalink

easy peasy.
www.framefetish.com

besides beautifully framing and matting your work, Link packages your finished work so it survives the shipping & manhandling by the UPS apes.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 09:19 am   Permalink

HOLY CRAP! That place is great. It may be exactly what I'm looking for and they appear to be fairly priced to boot. Thanks dogbytes!

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikittiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-21 10:40 am   Permalink

Hello all
I had 2 Shag prints framed by Link at Frame Fetish and I must say he is the greatest. My wife wanted to take them to a local frame shop but once she saw the final framed prints from Frame Fetish she was glad we had Link do them. I just order the Shag Conga and it will be heading right over to him for framing when it arrives. I will take a few pics of my 2 pieces and post them later tonight.

View Profile of ikittiki Send a personal message to ikittiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kbgator
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 10:51 am   Permalink

At fetishframes it says typical frames for shag prints are around 275 each. What have yours costs and are they better prices for such a small print 13 x 24.

View Profile of kbgator Send a personal message to kbgator  Email kbgator     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Brad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-21 11:15 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Brad on 2004-07-21 11:15 ]

View Profile of Tiki Brad Send a personal message to Tiki Brad  Email Tiki Brad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 11:17 am   Permalink

I would venture to say that the costs wouldn't be that different. Something like that is pure labor. There isn't much more as far as materials go unless you've got some giant mural, but the Shag prints are pretty much similar sizes in overall dimension.

I have had a serigraph of the original concept drawing of the Enchanted Tiki Room which is close to the same size dimensionally and it cost me about $175 from Frames USA. And all I really got was a bamboo frame, cheapo glass, and a 1 layer mat. That's it. It would have kicked it up another 25 to 30 bucks if I wanted a double mat. If you want the anti-glare glass you can close to double that price. I could easily spend the extra 100 bucks more on one of the frame set ups from Fetish Frames if they are indeed that cool. I need to actually put my hands on something and see it before I'm willing to fork over that kind of dough, though. Sometimes things photograph really well and end up being really lame once you see it first hand.

I'm taking my Big Mug print over there this weekend to get a quote. I'll post the results.

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-21 11:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-07-21 11:19 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation